Thursday 26 November 2015

Inside One Man's Quest to Build a Photo Ark for Animals




Ten years ago today, National Geographic photographer Joel Sartore wife, Kathy, was diagnosed with breast cancer.That diagnosis, and his subsequent Sartore must stay at home and take care of his wife and children in their Lincoln, Nebraska brought home unplanned, and photographically unprecedented to help project called Photo Ark to save the world species.Through his project Photo Ark, made photographic portraits Sartore 
5,400 animals in zoos and aquariums around the world, and he does not stop, he says, to the documents of all kinds in captivity 12,000 .This month National Geographic Photo Exhibition Ark with iconic images Sartore opened in National Geographic Museum in Washington, DCI'd former National Geographic photographer who roamed the world for many years and done a lot of stories. Then my wife got breast cancer and. To chemotherapy and radiation for the better part of one year When Kathy was always better, I started to the Lincoln Children's Zoo, just a mile from my house, and photographing animals in black and white background that I have never done before. The first of them was naked mole rat.How Ark Photo develop the project today? It's been 10 years and I have visited more than 200 zoos and aquariums in this country alone, and many more overseas. I have since 5400 species, and the world's approximately 12,000 species in captivity. The aim is to get all of them before I die, and show the world what biodiversity time.I use of black and white background appears at this point, because it's a great leveler. Tiger is more important than the tiger beetle. And on the matter of mice and the polar bears. I hope that the public pay attention to the extinction crisis and to take care of them as long as it, this species.What awakened my passion for animals to save even more time? I've always depended on natural history, because my parents did not care. My mother bought me a lifetime book entitled Birds, and it was a picture of Martha really the last pigeon. She died in 1914 in Cincinnati Zoo.What sparked my passion for animals? I've always cared about the natural history, because my parents did not care. My mother bought me a lifetime book entitled Birds, and it was a picture of Martha really the last pigeon. She died in 1914 in Cincinnati Zoo.How you to inspire people to take action? This is a small race now, because half of all species could by the year 2100, would violate human very real way be gone. We need insects such as bees and flies as pollinators also bring us fruit and vegetables. We need healthy rainforests regulate our climate and keep the rains come in areas where we grow crops. We need healthy oceans provide us with food and regulate our climate as well. Hopefully to photograph any kind, the Ark is a new opportunity to connect people and them before it's too late in the tent of protection. It is important that people pay attention and realize what amazing creatures we share the planet. If not, Ark more for future generations than us, because we had to save a very good job, what we did not have. Imagine at sea in a lifeboat that is on fire. We get the public to understand? If we save other species that we actually save ourselves? Why do you think that zoos and aquariums are crucial for the survival of this species' zoo? And the aquarium are truly hierarchs today, and often only have populations of many animals that are virtually extinct in the wild. For many people who live in cities, zoos are often the only place where people actually see live animals. It's not the same when you watch on TV or the Internet. You have to hear the animal, see, smell. After the animal look, now that people reach and change them.In a developed country, where many of us make our lives on your computer, a place where you, mammals, frogs and fish can be seen birds a critical reminder that we all in the same boat, and that we are all tied to the natural world. Zoos and aquariums are crucial when it comes to education, and we need it if we try to take care of the people to save nature, restore habitats, and for the animals to recover in the wild. World Zoos finance further restoration work, as you photographed many animals imagine.You've. What are some of the most memorable? When people ask me what is my favorite, I tend to tell them that it's the next. I'm always curious to see what will be there, and I'm glad to have the opportunity, so many animals that I have the worst way.for example just returned from Madagascar tells her story have to make, and only involuntarily Decken's sifaka va Zoo are seen , They look like they're wearing white wool coats, looking really interesting, and the world is really about them much. It's an honor, can say their story.Folks recognize that it does not save the whole world, only their own backyard. Drive less. Eat more fruits and vegetables produced locally. Better insulate your home. Reduce, reuse and recycle what you buy.Figure out what you are most passionate about, and do something to make the world a better place. Become a member of the local zoo or aquarium, and visit often. This is a big, beautiful place to start, especially if you kids.What after finishing the shooting of animals for photographs Ark do? Rest in peace [laughs]. I want nothing more than I about 15 years. My neck, back, knees and shot because I often crawl on the earth, when I'm at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment