Monday 2 November 2015

Former reality TV star opens up about the dark side of being a young mum


Former reality TV star opens up about the dark side of being a young mum
SIX years ago, MTV launched a reality television series featuring a group of pregnant teenagers trying to prepare for motherhood.
Called “16 and Pregnant”, the show was said to be designed to show viewers what life was really like being pregnant at such a young age, and hopefully deter other teens from ending up in the same situation.


But as it became a ratings hit, it predictably drummed up its fair share of controversy.
Parents accused the show of glamorising teen pregnancy, with critics noting that such shows send mixed messages about the pros and cons of having a baby so young.
According to the National Bureau of Economic Research, there was a 5.7 per cent reduction in US teen births in the 18 months following its release. The CDC said that by 2010, the birth rate for US teenagers had reached a historic low.
But despite this, countless articles, blogs and studies have continued to debate the big question: does giving pregnant teenagers a public platform encourage or discourage viewers from following in their footsteps?
For Nikkole Paulun, life after having a child was anything but glamorous.
The now 22-year-old mother of two appeared on the show five years ago, and has used the very public social media platform it gave her to reveal just how rough things became for her.
In a raw Facebook post, Nikkole detailed that she was pregnant with her first child at the age of 15. Prior to this, she led a straight-edge lifestyle without ever partying, drinking or sneaking out. She stayed in school, she kept her grades up and was determined to keep her life in order.
But having a child so young, she said she had no idea who she was or what she wanted. All her friends started going out on weekends, drinking and having “what she thought looked like fun”. So - despite having a one-year-old son - she eventually decided to try and get in on it.
And it was with just one party - and one man - that everything would begin to deteriorate.
For the next few years, Nikkole would party in an attempt to feel what she thought was “normal”, like other girls her age. At the age of 20, Nikkole met the man who would become the father of her future daughter. She describes him as a self-confessed alcoholic with whom she would drink every day until 5am, going “days without seeing her son and not thinking twice about it”.
Things soon spiralled out of control. She fell into a lifestyle of alcoholism. Her drinking rapidly took over her life. Her relationship was abusive. She lost contact with her friends and family - including her son. She would drink alcohol to numb the pain, but it would of course just make things worse.
Ironically, it was a surprise second pregnancy - which she learnt of exactly a year ago - that gave her the wake-up call she badly needed.
“I quit everything; cold turkey. I started eating healthy. I went back to school. I got a better job. I moved to a better place. I stayed away from her dad as much as possible. That day changed my life so much and I am forever grateful.”
Today, her public Facebook page - which has almost 150,000 followers - is flooded with photos of her and her two, seemingly always-smiling children. Why did she open up about this unseen dark chapter of her life?
“I’d rather people know the real me than a fake idea that I might give off with cute family photos,” Nikkole told news.com.au.
“I see so many girls where I was, after having a child, and I just hope they change like I did and hopefully I can inspire them.”
Nikkole was just 16 years old when she had her first baby. Looking back, she now says she had no idea what having a child was truly like.
“I want to tell mums and dads who get pregnant young to not go out and party, but that won’t stop them. It’s really hard to not want to try to be a ‘normal teen’ and go party, but I promise you it’s not as fun as it looks, and once you get addicted it’s so hard to get out.”
And how has the public responded?
“I thought 95 per cent of the reactions would be horrible, but I hoped it would reach someone who is struggling. I didn’t care what people were going to say as long as someone came to me and told me I helped them see the light.
“ I get so many messages every minute from girls telling me their stories and thanking me for sharing mine. Even teen dads.”
Thankfully, Nikkole now says her destructive days are now behind her, and that she never wants to go back there. She promises she will never miss a day with her kids ever again, and says her relationship with her family and friends has never been stronger.
“I’d trade every moment partying back to have spent time with my son. It’s just not worth it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment