Saturday 24 October 2015

Insanely stylish trendsetter Olivia Palermo has a soft spot for Aussie designers


Insanely stylish trendsetter Olivia Palermo has a soft spot for Aussie designers
OLIVIA Palermo reeks of authenticity and of just being a genuinely nice chick.
At 29, she is part of that particular posse of young “Fash-It” women who have made wearing clothes into an art form. And a very financially successful and lucrative career at that.
For those who don’t know of Olivia Palermo, she’s big time when it comes to the world of fashion blogging and her style is slavishly copied by a perfect pack of Palermo wannabes.
While she is in Tokyo with her Max & Co ambassador hat firmly on — the brand has her twirling around the world spreading the word of the chic and sporty luxe label — she’s a fan of Aussie fashion too.


“There are a few close and brands that I incorporate into my everyday wardrobe and they have this kind of sporty chic effortless thing and the playing off the prints and textures is something that I love doing and I tend to do most days,’’ she says in our interview in Tokyo.
But as far as Australian style and fashion is concerned there are three names that stick out and often feature on Olivia’s hugely popular website: Witchery, Zimmermann and Bassike.
“They all get a really great reaction whenever we have them on the site,” says Olivia.
“As far as Australian fashion goes both my husband and I love Witchery and Bassike have the BEST harem pants, ever!
“Yes, I am absolutely planning to come to Australia and we are looking at putting it on our agenda for next year, I promise.
As far as the word ‘style’ is concerned, Olivia says innate style is about incorporating colour.
“Being a New Yorker I love black, of course, but it’s important to incorporate a splash of colour especially in accessories, whether it is a shoe, a lip, a bag or on your nails.
“I think you can shape your whole outfit around an accessory and that may sound very simple, but that’s how you really do you create your own sense of style.”
With 2.5 million Instagram followers, 377,000 Twitter followers and 908,000Facebook ‘likers’ and a hoard of fans following her official website, as far as social media is concerned Olivia admits she isn’t a die hard fan.
The OP team (as she calls her website crew) use it in order to get a message across, whether it’s for the website or a fashion label or brand association she has, But, she is no addict.
“I’m not the biggest fan of social media in the world,” says Olivia.
“We had a life before social media and we will continue to have a life after social media, “ she laughs.
You can have those big numbers on social media but I really don’t think they mean a lot.
“I don’t think some of those numbers are incredibly accurate, I mean you look at some of those amazing Hollywood actors you know their numbers don’t necessarily match their talent, if that makes sense so I don’t really pay much attention to numbers.
“And it’s a matter of how much effort you put into it. I mean I don’t Instagram every day. I do it when I can and if I see inspiration that I like.
“But I have so much to do with every day work and a million emails to get back and so many other distractions and Instagram is not one of them.
“Sure, we use social media to let our website followers know what’s going on and that’s fantastic. Facebook, Twitter and Instagram a great platforms for brands and particularly to get out a visual message.
“We like to let our followers know about a new brand, story or support a new designer on the OP website but we don’t use it just to push product at all. We use our platforms in a very transparent and organic way and our readers appreciate that.”
As for this trip to Tokyo, Japanese fashion editors and bloggers were in awe of the Olivia factor and visibly excited when she admitted that Tokyo really is one of her favourite cities in the world (and yes, she really did mean it).
“You guys teach me about fashion every time I come here,” she told the gathered media and blogger throng after our news.com.au interview.
Stay stylish, feel beautiful and just try to incorporate great textures and colours when you are searching for the new season.
“I am totally blown away with this store I think the exterior and the theme is just incredible. It really represents Max & Co who is an incredibly chic girl who loves rich fabrics and I think all of the details from the gold marble to the gold staircases are just beautiful.
“Mixing and matching of different patterns and clashing of prints just works so well and it’s all been put together so beautifully.
“Style for this season is about taking a mustard sweater and wearing it with a blue jacket or a green jacket so you have that nice pop of colour.”
When not in fashion modem, a normal ‘Olivia’ day is just seeing friends or taking in a gallery or museum or just hanging out and seeing friends.
As far as paparazzi intrusions are concerned she thinks she’s been pretty lucky.
“I’m pretty lucky with photographers — they get their shot — I know what they’re doing and they’re doing their job, then they pretty much leave me alone.
And let’s face it, they have other things to do in their day too.”
it was marriage that was on the agenda last year when she married her boyfriend of eight years, German model Johannes Heubl in Bedford, New York, the bride looking spectacular in a spectacular three-piece dress by Carolina Herrera.
“We’d been together for eight years so when we did marry it didn’t change too much,” she says.
“It’s just when you are married, you are kind of bonded just so much more to each other. It’s fantastic.”
While it was the series, The City, that gave Olivia a ‘known’ face, acting isn’t something she is overly keen to pursue.
“There may be an opportunity down the track but my passion is really fashion as it is something I love and I know and I just adore being involved with it.”
Olivia says the Japanese have an innate sense of style because it is really in the culture.
“They are meticulous about everything from timing to using beautiful fabrics so I’ve been very conscious of the way they do that and have tried to incorporate that into my life.”
As for her own beauty routine she keeps it very simple and has followed the same one for life.
“You have one doctor, one dentist, so why not the same with dermatologists, make-up artists and hairdressers? Well; that’s my philosophy!

No comments:

Post a Comment