Tuesday 10 November 2015

Ruby Rose on why she left Australia: ‘Oh my god they hate me, I have to leave’


Ruby Rose on why she left Australia: ‘Oh my god they hate me, I have to leave’
RUBY Rose has had an incredible year.
Cast in the third season of the hit Netflix show, Orange Is The New Black, her star has skyrocketed in the US. She even hosted the MTV Europe Music Awards last month.


But the 29-year-old is unsure of how she feels about the way Australia has tightened their embrace of her since making it overseas.
“I have mixed feelings about that, because I really think that people underestimate you,” she told news.com.au at the GQ Awards in Sydney on Tuesday night.
“There are so many talented people who worked really hard within Australia, they work their butt off and they don’t get the credit that they deserve and they don’t get the awards that they should get, and they don’t get the (magazine) covers they deserve.
“Because we wait as a country, we wait for them to make it big overseas and I don’t necessarily agree with that. So yes, as soon as I got Orange (Is The New Black), and as soon as America kind of embraced me, I’ve had this huge resurgence in Australia and I love that and I love people loving me here again, because it’s been a tumultuous ride.
In hindsight, Rose says she thinks she “needed to leave” when she did.
“I think people were sick of me and I think that I had done everything in Australia that I could do, like literally I had a clothing brand, a radio show, I hosted my own TV show, there wasn’t really anything I wasn’t doing,” she said.
“I think maybe in that regard I should have done things differently in my career because I was everywhere, but at the same time, when you’re getting those opportunities and that’s your dream to do that job, it’s really hard to say no, so my relationship when I left was like ‘oh my god, they hate me’.
“And that’s my country and I was born here and this is where my heart is and I felt like I have to leave, I had to leave. I wanted to try and make it somewhere else and do something different.
Since leaving, she says her relationship with Australia is “more nostalgic”.
Touching down in Sydney on Sunday for the first time in about eight months, Rose and girlfriend Phoebe Dahl are off to Melbourne tomorrow to visit family.
Rose’s mum walked the black carpet with the girls at Tuesday night’s GQ awards.
“I feel the people I’m most excited to see are the ones that were always rooting for me, they always thought that I was going to be something or do something I never thought I was capable of.”
Dahl, whom Rose became engaged to last year, is using the trip to find out about her fiancee.
“I love it, I love it, I really love it. I love being able to come back and see where ruby is from and see her heritage,” she said.
But for Ruby, she has their itinerary sorted.
“The food is so good here, we eat our way through Australia and then we have to leave.”
Ruby Rose at the 2015 GQ Men Of The Year Awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment