Monday 21 September 2015


Suzann Pettersen apologises for her unsportsmanlike decision at the 2015 Solheim Cup
IT WAS golf bags at nine paces when Europe took on America in the Solheim Cup — a matchplay tournament played between the two teams every two years. But the person responsible for the furore has finally apologised.
America accused Europe of being bad sports, the Europeans defended themselves, people cried and players unleashed expletives. It was everything golf isn’t supposed to be.
However, Suzann Pettersen apologised on Monday for making the controversial call that left United States players fuming before their memorable victory in the tournament.
Pettersen had demanded American rookie Alison Lee be penalised at the 17th hole of their morning four-ball match for picking the ball up when she thought the putt was conceded.
The Norwegian, who initially said on Sunday she did the right thing and would “totally” do it again, took to social media to say she “never felt more gutted and truly sad about what went down”.
“I am so sorry for not thinking about the bigger picture in the heat of the battle and competition. I was trying my hardest for my team and put the single match and the point that could be earned ahead of sportsmanship and the game of golf itself! I feel like I let my team down and I am sorry,” Pettersen said.
The 34-year-old golfer paid tribute to US captain Juli Inkster, “a great leader” to whom she said she “always looked up to and respect so much”.
“Knowing I need to make things ‘right,’ I had a face-to-face chat with her before leaving Germany this morning to tell her in person how I really feel about all of this. I wanted her also to know that I am sorry,” Pettersen wrote.
The controversy started when Lee thought her putt was a “gimme” and the hole would be tied, so she picked up the ball. But Pettersen disagreed, despite Lee’s opponent Charley Hull appearing to walk off the green in a sign she was conceding the hole.
World Golf Hall of Famer Laura Davies was furious with Pettersen for demanding a penalty, slamming the world no. 8 for her lack of sportsmanship.
“How Suzann can justify that I will never, ever know. We are all fierce competitors but ultimately it’s unfair. We have to play week in, week out together and you do not do something like that to a fellow pro,” Davies was quoted as saying in UK publication The Independent.
“Poor old Alison Lee has been wronged by one of the most senior players in golf and (who) used to be one of the most respected players. I know (Pettersen) is angry and justifying everything, but she has let herself down and she has certainly let her team down. I am so glad I am not on that team this time.”
Inkster was even angrier.
“I don’t care what anybody says, it was just wrong. You just don’t do that to your peers. It’s bulls*** as far as I’m concerned.”
In matchplay golf you only need to beat your opponent on each hole — cumulative scores are not important. Sometimes, when a ball is close to the hole, it is considered a “gimme” and the player does not have to waste time taking the putt.
When Charley Hull started walking away, Lee took this to mean she was conceding the hole and did not have to make the putt. However, Hull said she had not been walking off the green, but had gone over to consult with Pettersen.
“I was walking over to Suzann to discuss whether or not to give the putt, and then I turn around and she picks it up,” Hull said. “And, you know, it went by and that’s what happened. And everyone — a few people are saying that I was walking off the green. If they watch it again, I was walking to Suzann.”
Had the putt been conceded, the hole would have been halved and left the match all-square with one hole to play. Instead, Europe was awarded the hole and went on to win the match.
“To me it looked good. I mean, it was a really short putt, easy putt,” Lee said. “And at the same time Charley was walking off the green and Suzann was already off the green so there was no doubt in my mind that putt was good ... I didn’t even think twice about it. So I just picked it up
The incident left both Lee and Hull in tears afterwards.
The point helped put Europe up 10-6 going into the singles, but the Americans stormed back to win 14.5 to 13.5 — the biggest comeback in Solheim Cup history.
As far as Inkster was concerned, the controversy over Lee’s putt was what sparked the American comeback.
“I don’t know if my team needed to be fired up anymore, but they were real fired up,” Inkster said.
Lee, who recovered with a 3 and 1 win over Gwladys Nocera of France, also said the team rallied together after the incident.
“Definitely after everything that happened, it definitely fired us all up to go and pretty much kill it, kill it this afternoon,” Lee said.

No comments:

Post a Comment