Monday 14 September 2015

BREKKIE WRAP: Prison worker Joyce Mitchell breaks silence


BREKKIE WRAP: Prison worker Joyce Mitchell breaks silence


JOYCE Mitchell, the prison worker who pleaded guilty to helping inmates Richard Matt and David Sweat escape from a New York prison in June, has said that she was sexually assaulted by one of the escapees.Breaking her silence in a teary jailhouse interview, Mitchell described the alleged assault she suffered at the hands of Matt, who was shot and killed by police after nearly three weeks on the run. Sweat was recaptured just two days afterwards
“Mr. Matt had grabbed me a couple times and kissed me and then there was one point where he had … he wanted me to perform [a sex act] on him and I said no. And when I said no, he grabbed my head and pushed me down,” Mitchell said. “There was never any consensual [sexual contact].”
Mitchell admitted to flirting with the two prisoners, “but that’s all it ever was”.
“I was going through a time where I felt like my husband didn’t love me anymore. I guess they saw my weakness,” she said. “Their attention made me feel good.”
Mitchell said she just brought home-baked biscuits in for the pair, saying she was nervous that she’d get caught, but said she never did. “They were supposed to check bags,” she said.
Mitchell said the two men soon began asking for more than biscuits, demanding the tools they needed to escape. “I’m like, ‘I can’t get you that,’” she recalled saying.
Mitchell said she only gave in when Richard Matt threatened to hurt her husband, Lloyd.
“Everybody tells me I’m way too nice,” she said. “I guess I got a little too comfortable.”
Mitchell is facing up to seven years in jail, when she’s sentenced later this month.
“It’s nerve-racking because it’s not some place I ever expected to be,” she said. “I did wrong, I deserved to be punished, but people need to know that I was only trying to save my family.”

No comments:

Post a Comment